Saturday, April 17, 2010

Staying Sober in the Caribbean

What are the first things one thinks of when pondering the Caribbean.....beautiful blue waters, sunshine, beaches, palm tress swaying in the breeze...ah paradise.  Oh what about the pina colada in hand or a beer.....or some other tropical alcohol laden treat like mango madness, planters punch or the famous rum punch.  This picture wouldn't be complete without the drinks, right?

So how do I live here for six months of the year and stay sober.  Well it ain't easy.  Alcohol is everywhere.  In your face at every corner.  Fortunately I have a refuge....a beautiful home to stay at where I can create my own sober environment most of the time.  If my space at home gets invaded to the point of anxiety there is always the privacy of my bedroom.  However simple avoiding exposure to drinking situations gets pretty crazy.  I do not want to live in a bubble.  I have developed tools that enable me to cope.  I put my health first.  I look at my time in the Caribbean as health camp so to speak.  Rather than return to the States needing a body detox like many vacationers I strive to be in better shape from when I arrived.  So I run.  I do yoga.  I scuba dive. I explore new places.  I challenge my mind.  I follow self-healing philosophies. I befriend those without drinking problems with whom I have some common interests.  They are far and few between but so are good real friends.  I find there are days when those drinking around me doesn't bother me much.  Then there are days when I cannot stand it so I  find other things to do with my time.  It is a balancing act.

I believe anyone who truly needs to abstain from alcohol can do it.  Remember that sobriety is a choice. A healthy choice. It requires coping tools unique to each individual and healing from within ones self.    

No comments: