Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Heat

I am a runner. I try to run wherever life takes me when possible. Today my monster is the heat. It is friggin hot here in the Caribbean where I spend my winters. Face it. I am a damn yankee, used to sleet, snain, snow and much lower humidities in warm weather. During the winter months here it is quite pleasant but this time of year it just begins to get unbearable for those not raised in this environment. Being the determined runner that I am I get up very early in the morning so I can run before the it gets too hot and feel like I am running in a sauna. But the heat even at 6AM can be very trying....one voice inside my head says quit, dont run, stay in the shade but the other voice, the louder one says to get my happy ass out there and just do it (move over Nike)....not to let things get in the way of my goals. But still the oppressive heat and humidity and lack of breeze becomes a monster. It eats at my brain to stop what I am doing. My drive to finsh my run for the day needs to be bigger than the drive to stop. So the monster lesson for the day becomes to not to let things get in the way of my goal, which this morning was running 5 miles while sweating my ass off. It is a very empowering thing to rise above the heat obsatacle and accomplish my running goal which spills over into my whole outlook for the day. If I can get this run done I can tackle the rest of the day. Heat is no monster anymore.

No comments: