Sunday, May 17, 2009

Changing Paces

OkOK so I haven't blogged in a bit.....try almost 4 weeks. In that time I have moved back to the Michigan house and been adjusting to life here as opposed to the Caribbean house. Very different lifestyles not to mention climate change. I find myself missing friends there and my newly adopted island dog River who is living with a good friend while I am gone. I do enjoy however the opportunity to sleep a bit later in the morning and run later in the morning. That 4:30 AM shit was getting to me not to mention the oppressive heat and humidity. Here in Michigan it is still quite cool and I find running outside here right now quite enjoyable. My first 5K race is on Memorial day then another the following weekend. I will see how it goes as I could run a race almost every weekend it I really wanted. I do prefer trail runs as they are fun and scenic all in one shot. My short term goal is to get a 5K under 30 minutes.



A few days before we left the Caribbean we had to pleasure of spending a few days on the island of Saba. Google http://www.sabatourism.com/ if you want to see a great video that reveals a bit of the beauty there. A pair of my friends developed this and it is quite good actually. Staying at Saba a few days was a great experience and I highly recommend it as a beautiful and relaxing place to visit. I got to go on two hikes, one around the island about midway up and then another to the top of Saba....both were wonderful, beautiful and quite inspiring. One evening there we met up with some friends for a dinner at a quaint restaurant which was very nice. Let me preface by saying that there is alot of alcohol consumption on Saba....if one doesn't hike, dive or fish there are not alot of other things to do other than drink and eat. So we go to this dinner and the one person who is celebrating a birthday with a liter of Petron rum amongst substances plops down next to me. Now why does the one drunk guy find the recovered alcoholic and choose to sit there? Fate I guess but this is not the first time this has happened to me. Its an "in your face" lesson that I seem to get to experience over and over. This is what you used to live like, look like and act like. Unlike me though the guy was quite a pleasant drunk and we chatted quite a bit and the evening was fine but I cant help but wonder how many times I get to experience this anomaly. I think I must need a reminder once in a while why I quit drinking to further my motivation to stay on course. Ok I get it...how many times do I need to repeat this lesson?? I am positive other addicts have experienced this too. Needless to say this guy did not hike 4 1/2 hours the next day and experience the natural beauties of Saba as I did.....nor did anyone else in our little group. It was glorious and an experience I will not soon forget.

It is cool, clear and quiet here in Michigan this Sunday morning and the trail is calling me...time to run and then do a little Yoga after. Sounds like an oxymoron...running and Yoga but I find it very compatible and therapeutic. Have a great day!

1 comment:

Ax said...

Have you tried yin yoga? Or do you prefer more active types?