Friday, March 5, 2010

It's Been Awhile

It's been awhile.  Mostly sober for 4 years now.  It's also been awhile since I wrote on this blog. It is high time to warm up the keyboard and develop a bit of discipline I think.  I figure if I have the discipline to run, eat healthy and stay mostly sober, I should be able to maintain a blog and actually write in a timely fashion.  It is also time to change things up.  When I find myself in a rut of sorts I change things up so I am adding scuba diving discussions since that has become my latest passion and some thoughtful quotes and/or inspirational ideas to ponder upon. 

Running has been going great.  I metaled in every race I ran last season.  September and October got a little slow but as soon as I returned to the Caribbean I picked up the pace.  My goal for 2009 was to run 1000 miles. In the beginning of December I did not think I would make it but really poured on the gas the last to weeks and actually made 1001!!  2010 goals include 1000 plus miles. Did I mention I turn 53 next week.  Not bad for an old fart. 

Per usual I do my pondering while running...actually it is more like active meditation. My thoughts today were inspired by the Dalai Lama "Self confidence is knowing that we have the capacity to do something and firmly deciding not to give up"  which brings me to...Ah.....scuba.....Talk about a confidence builder!!  It was last November when we had guests here in the Caribbean that were avid scuba divers.  As I watched them take off all geared up in our dinghy and return with gems from the ocean I asked myself "What is wrong with this picture?"  And so it began.  I first went out to test the waters with 2 very good friends emerging from the first dive thinking I wanted to go right back down.  A few days later I was enrolled in a course and 2 weeks later I was an open water certified diver.  A few weeks later I became an advanced diver and currently I am taking the rescue diver course. I sincerely hope I never have to use these skills but the life I save just may be my own too!  I have had the same dive buddy through all 3 courses...a very nice dutch friend who is a chef here on the island.  We have a blast together and have learned and shared a lot of experiences.  With 30 plus dives under my belt I wonder about dive master later on. The underwater world is fascinating to me as I kick myself in the ass for not diving sooner. I am keeping a fish/sea creature log which grows every time I dive.  Sharks do not thrill me but I am getting used to them along with barracudas......geez but they are ugly guys and rather intimidating.  Hopefully I will get an underwater camera soon so I can record some of the sights and share them.

While I have been writing this there has been a Regatta going by the house....100's of boats..I mean 100's..very cool.....maybe I need to try sailing??!!

1 comment:

Ax said...

You never call me when you're sober...lol :p